Monday, September 15, 2008

Hennalucent ?!?!!!!


As you can see from the picture on the box the color is Bark Brown. A shade very close to my original hair color. I thought it was a perfect match and considering the fact that it was the only color choice available in a brown shade, I was happy to shell out $3.99 for the box. Yes, that's right $3.99. After spending a week spraying tea ( rosemary and sage) to restore the hair color to the gray and coffee to give color to the rest of my hair I jumped on the henna idea. It's been a whole week beyond my usual touch-up and I am feeling antsy about the whole idea of going natural. Must be strong.
The goal of this project is to get away from using toxic harsh chemicals on my hair. I carefully read the directions and prepared my mixing bowl, brush and robe. I opened the pouch and discovered not brown but a green shade of powder that smelled. Imagine an earthy, foul, pungent baby poop like smell. Yeah that's about right.
Now I had to balk. I pause to consider the effects of putting this concoction on my head. So far I'm okay with the rosemary sage smell ( rather nice) and the coffee is fun, but this stuff stinks. I thought well I bought the last one on the shelf, maybe since it's all natural it's beyond its' shelf life. I checked the box for an expiration date and found nothing. Fearless, and way to trusting I carefully add hot water according to the directions and discover that not only does it reek but it is green! It's GREEN. Pea soup green. I am now greatly concerned with the prospect of putting GREEN stinky stuff on my head. Originally I was worried that the henna would make my hair red ( I like red hair on other people, but I think that it doesn't work well with my complexion), now I must consider the possibility of getting green highlights. For some CRAZY reason I proceed. I apply the pea soup gooey mixture on my head and stare at my reflection in the mirror. Dear God this is the prayer I need you to answer. I know I thought there were other big important issues - world peace, helping the hungry and paying my bills, but I was wrong - now were talking about my vanity.
The instructions indicate that I need to wait 40 minutes to get the color I want. Yeah right I'm waiting 40 minutes to end up looking like a Martian. I'm not getting ready for Halloween. So after 20 agonizing minutes I hop in the shower. I wash my hair with a passion reserved only for desperate souls who fear the devil or in this case the Hell life will be with Green Hair. I rinse, lather and repeat. Then I sprayed coffee on my hair, hoping that all the green is gone. Yes, I did stop to think about the color combination of green and dark brown. What is that gunk?

After towel drying I began the inspection.

NO GREEN

I start looking for gray.

No Roots

This is what it looks like -




Yeah - Not awful.

Honestly I do have some gray. I think that is more operator error than product related.

Results - Color Good, Gray almost gone. Shiny soft hair and no smell or tint of green.
Now, how long before I have to redye?
To be continued....




14 comments:

sophanne said...

It looks beautiful!

Krissy said...

The perfect hair style/cut/color. It's a never ending quest.

Olga said...

I have been thinking of getting off the hair dye train but- THE GREY! I don't think I'm ready to see how grey I've gotten these past 7 years.

Kim said...

Funny post! I am so relieved that your hair turned our gorgeous!! Stinky poo green henna gives a whole new meaning to the term sh$thead. hahaha! Anything might smell bad after the rosemary/sage spray and coffee spray.

Yarnhog said...

I think it looks great! Of course, you already know I'm a henna lover. I even like the smell. Very organic. *chuckle!*

Deborah said...

I was so afraid your hair was gonna look like green poop. It turned out beautifully! I love it. Yay! I was on the edge of my seat as I was reading your post. I had to know what the end result was gonna be. You have the gift for creative writing.

Sue said...

What a fun post! I was on the edge of my seat! I love how it turned out. Very beautiful!
I want to dye my hair but I'm the type of person that would never sit for 40 minutes with a bunch of chemicals on her head every 4 to 6 weeks, no way! So I was really curious about the tea experiment and how you found it. Was it working?

janet said...

Thanks for all the great encouraging comments!!!
Right now I am working on a few things - finding a new henna product ( cause I can't do the "sh$thead" (Kim's word)thing again), using the coffee and decreasing the amount I shampoo.
I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago (when I had no grey) I tried the real deal on my hair - henna by itself.
You didn't leave it the allotted time - and look at your great results!

I left it on longer than recommended, and ended up with purple hair!

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca

Sheila said...

Ok, today I bought the Hennalucent and decided it was time to stop coloring my hair and go organic. I've been wanting to do this but afraid of what might happen when the henna meets the chemicals. My hair is naturally dark auburn brown and I've done shades of red but wanted to veer away from that. So I mixed the same bark brown henna you used with cloves and hot coffee (more color and no henna smell).
I was going to leave it on three hours because that's what a friend who hennas her hair does.

I then decided to freak out and googled Hennalucent. Found a couple of reports of women with black hair going coal black, and that scared me. Then I read your post and decided after one and a half hours I should wash out. Its lovely and it smells awesome! And its not as "crispy" as it was.

I'm curious if you have used henna again and the results?

Anonymous said...

I've actually used Hennalucent, either in neutral or the now unavailable tawny blonde shade, to fix a summer's worth of swimming damage. Left my hair well conditioned, far less porus, and with a subltle highleted look.

Anonymous said...

Hi readers
Do not miss your chance to get a free iPhone 4G. Visit http://bit.ly/d9QOON

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

SweaterFreak said...

I know it's an old post, but I felt compelled to post. Henna is always going to be poopy green and stinky. I use Colora Henna and it has the same smell/texture and my hair comes out beautifully full and shiny.