Friday, September 5, 2008

Experiment

What does this picture look like to you? My morning cup of coffee or tea?
Guess again.
Try my new hair color kit!!
Yeah that's right.
I discovered a way to restore the color to my gray hair and today I brewed up a potion and sprayed it on my hair.
I know how funny this idea must be - coffee and tea for your hair, but wait it actually makes sense if you agree that most medicines, creams and products are plant based.
My motivation is simple. I want to save my hair from the damages of hair dyes. They all contain really harmful chemicals that strip away the hair follicle and dry it out. After a time the hair must be cut for it to look nice. I want to grow my hair longer and nothing is ugly than long dry tangled hair soo... I did a Google search. Low and behold I find this site -
http://www.longlocks.com/hair-care-recipes-cookbook.htm#dye5
and then I find another site with basically the same information. Inspired I went to the health food store and bought herbs in bulk and then I went home and brewed my tea - rosemary and sage, which smells absolutely wonderful, and I filled a spray bottle, sprayed my hair, waited about a half hour and then I shampooed.
My hair is nice and soft and the gray is somewhat covered. According to the directions repeated applications are necessary for full coverage to be achieved. I am willing to give it a try because I love the idea of using all natural products. Think of all the chemicals that enter your body via the tiny pores in the skin. Lotions, soaps, dyes, deodorants etc.... and they all contain chemicals that we couldn't pronounce even if a gun were aimed at us. How much cellular damage
is the cumulative effect of these products having on our systems?
Secondly- one of the side effects of menopause is dry skin and hair loss. Lucky me I got a heavy dose of both and lost a lot of hair. Happily, much of it has grown back but I still have dry skin and hair. I have tried many, many products that make miraculous claims and never come close to being more than a superficial fix. If I am going to make a real change I have to stop chemically processing, blow drying, flat ironing and abusing my hair.
However, I can only be so brave because after all I'm not ready to be old or at least look it so I am giving the new treatment a few weeks and then I'm trying a Henna all natural hair dye.
In the mean time fair warning to friends and family - I may smell like a cross between Folgers and rosemary.
Now is there anybody else who would like to enter this experiment with me? It would be fun share the experience.

6 comments:

km said...

Gee, that actually looks like fun. But I'm a blonde. I don't have any gray yet. But, I may consider adding lemons to my hair like I did in high school before I started weaving in bits of lighter blonde.

Krissy said...

That sounds so interesting. You'll have to give us a long term update. It think that it is so cool to find non-chemical ways to still look great.

Kim said...

Keep us updated as top how this works out. Even though I am only 42, if I didn't dye my hair, I'd be completely gray and I'm not ready for that yet. Thank you genetics. I'll bet your hair smells awesome!

Maureen said...

You may just smell like you work at the local Starbucks. ;) I'm not a coffee drinker, but I LOVE the aroma that wafts out of a Starbucks.

Deborah said...

I never would have guessed hair dye! Good for you in researching another way to do it. Let us know how it works. With my blonde hair the gray is hard to see. I noticed it a year or so ago and I know it's there, but fortunately I don't think others can yet.

Sue said...

I love this hair dye idea! I have blonde hair, each year it gets a little darker. Around age 40 I noticed that I had a few gray hairs but you couldn't really see them with my hair color. Now at 45 most can see that I'm about 25% gray.
I would LOVE to try this method because it sounds like it would be something I would actually keep up and feel good about. I didn't like the idea of chemicals on my head or the fact that I would have to go to a salon on a regular basis. I have dark blonde hair so I wonder if there are certain ones for each hair type. Hmmmm this is very interesting indeed. :)

Please let me know how it turns out, I would really like to give this a try too.