Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back

The good news is that I don't have carpel tunnel syndrome. My friend had surgery for this problem and she kindly explained all of the symptoms; tingling in the fingers, stiffness and throbbing. Although I have two of the three the first one is the most significant indicator.
I probably just have a case of very sore hand - No big deal. So after a few hand stretches and a little message, I started knitting again, but not before I frogged every single stitch in my completely finished sweater. Yes, I took the entire sweater apart - because it doesn't fit. The one serious flaw with knitting is the inability to correctly gauge size. As I knitted I frequently did a mock fit and everything seemed to be okay. As much as I could imagine the sweater would fit but just as I was finishing the shoulder seams on the back piece I realized that this sweater was too short and the neckline dipped too low. If I were a 14 yo it would have been fine but ...I'm not, soo I pouted over the outcome and then tore the entire sweater apart. Back to the drawing board.
Knitting often seems a metaphor for life for me. How many times have I worked tireless, inspired and motivated, only to discover that after a closer look everything wasn't the way I had imagined and I wasted my time. At that point I have a choice, give up - toss the project and move on, or try to fix it. I am a stubborn and determined person and so I analysed the situation and made a plan. I needed to add an extra row at the bottom. Simple. So I knitted away with a satisfied feeling but.... Well I don't think that is going to work either. Actually I think what I need to do is add maybe three or four rows to each segment in order to increase the sweater length properly. Either way I am too stuck , and too disgusted to think about this anymore, soo I have moved on to "Free Pattern", and it is moving along quite nicely.

4 comments:

Krissy said...

Sorry to hear about the sweater. But I guess if it doesn't fit, there's not much you can do.

Deborah said...

I am so happy to hear about your sore hand situtation. This happens to me too. I am so sorry to hear about the sweater. Hooray for you for wanting to give another try. I can understand the frustration of the whole thing. At least you have something else to work on while the other sits in the freezer for a bit.

sophanne said...

I'm with you on the knitting is like life thing.

yarndork said...

Frogging sucks. I'm sorry you had to do it. May I recommend the top down raglan and the Stargazer? Very easy to size as you go. In the mean time, have some chocolate. It always helps to ease the sting.