Sunday, July 6, 2008

Moving Right Along...

With Border lace barely finished I cast on for another project. Originally this yarn was supposed to be used for 'Free Pattern' but after trying 3 times to cast on and knit with it I gave up. The yarn just didn't feel right for the project. It is Rowan All Seasons Cotton and it felt very stiff, especially after knitting with the Andean Silk (itchy but great to knit with), besides it's summer and I want a top I can wear now. I had this pattern in a folder and before I knew it I had finished the cast-on and was busy making a sweater. Funny how I let so much time go by with the other project and here in the span of a week I have this sweater almost done. It lacks side and shoulder seams. It was truely a pleasure to knit. The directions are very easy to follow and the pattern shows progress really quickly especially after the body is finished.
The one problem I have is that my hand is aching something fierce from my desperate attempt to finish the sweater by 4th of July. That morning I thought I would quickly sew the seams up but the plan went awry. I missed my deadline and decided I better let my hand rest or I might never be able to knit again.

Does anyone else suffer from knitters hand? I had a case of carpal tunnel about 20 years ago, but it went away after I stopped working for the Post Office ( so did my nightmares and chronic headaches). Are there braces that knitters can wear, maybe something like the kind that bowlers use?

10 comments:

km said...

This looks great! And you'll definitely get to wear it. I've had a sore hand from knitting...and I just had to lay off for a few days. The Koolhaas kicked my but. It's so gorgeous though, I might knit another but just not try to rush through it. Maybe seaming takes different hand muscles?

Deborah said...

Beautiful! Isn't amazing what can be knocked out so quickly? That will be a great top for you to wear in this heat. When I do too much knitting I get a pain in the joint of my thumb at the base of my hand. I knit through it but also try to give it some rest when I can put the knitting down. LOL

Shameka said...

Your new top looks great. It's amazing what you can do when you are so focused. Can you rub some of that off on me?

I once had pain in my wrist and wore the wrist protection that I use when I go rollerblading.... the 2 futile attempts I had. I wore it more when my hand was sore than when I was actually on the skates. LOL! Anyway...the pain went away in a few days, even though I was still at work typing. But it takes the strain off of having to move the muscles in your wrist.

Yarnhog said...

Rest it. Better to rest for a few days that do permanent damage. Also, it sounds funny, but I stretch my hands and wrists before and during knitting, just like with exercise, and it really helps. There are support gloves you can buy, like support hose for your hands, but I've never tried them.

yarndork said...

My hand hurts sometimes too. I find if I change the thickness of yarn I've been working with, it helps.

Olga said...

Sometimes when we are on car trips and I knit for long periods my hands cramp up, but normally- I get interupted so often at home I never have a chance to 'over knit'.
( as if that was possible)
The sweater looks good!

house moving said...

搬屋公司
搬運
搬運公司
Moving company
House moving
搬屋
搬屋公司推介

搬屋 said...

品牌串口服务器
串口以太网
串口
以太网
串口服务器
串口通讯服务器
串口服务器厂家
串口网关
串口转换器
接口转换器
嵌入式设备模块
终端服务器

crystal said...

OBO
OBO避雷器
避雷器
防雷器
电源避雷器
德国OBO防雷器

crystal said...

PVC商标
PVC软胶
PVC胶章
PVC滴胶
PVC礼品
PVC钥匙扣
软胶礼品
滴胶
滴塑
胶章
鞋花
钥匙套