Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Smart Cars & Dumb People

Once again the carpool line provides me with material to blog. Today while waiting in line I counting six cars within my sight that were running their engines while waiting in line. What's wrong with that? Well, the bell wasn't going to ring for at least ten minutes and then it takes another five before the line starts to move. These people were idling on $4.20/gal. gas! I dared myself to get out of my car and ask them why, but I chickened out. What could they say?

When do we change our habits? Last year gas was at about $3/gal , only one year later it is over a dollar more. Do you know it took decades for gas to reach $1/gal? This is a big problem and I think every little bit saved makes a difference.


Now here is a nice little email I got that might help you too.

Just enter your zip code in the site below, and it tells you which gas stations have the cheapest prices (and the highest) on gas in your zip code area. It's updated every evening. Just click on the link. You will see a map of your area and then scroll down and you will get a listing of gas prices in your area with addresses and brands starting with the cheapest and going up.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx

The Smart Car - $13k & 4o mpg

I actually saw someone driving this car on the freeway. It is shockingly small. Personally, I couldn't fit my knitting bag in the car let alone my knees.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

At times like this is when I am happy I do not have a car. I remember in high school (18 yrs ago) when I could fill my car up for 89 cents a gallon. That's a pretty handy little link for those that need it.

Kim said...

People just don't give a rat's ass. Thanks for that excellent link.

Sue said...

I wouldn't mind having a car that small, it's not like I have to live in it. hehe I live in the city so I walk everywhere most of the time. :)

Olga said...

I've seen a few of those whizzing around here and I thought you might as well buy one of those kids electric cars they sell at toys r us- might be cheaper.

Maureen said...

I've been seeing quite a few of these on the roads lately. My dad used to call it a roller skate with a steering wheel. With mileage like that though, it's starting to look pretty good.

Me7of11 said...

UPS recently renewed their delivery routes to eliminate left turns. They are saving more than a million gallons of fuel a year. A MILLION gallons by eliminating left hand turns...amazing.

I stopped using drive thrus.

Me7of11 said...

Make that 3 million gallons of fuel. Google "UPS left turns" for the full story.