Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Red Light Moment

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the store today. I came up to a stop light, glanced down for a moment and then for some reason I looked at the driver next to me and it was a man winking at me. It was a good looking young man flirting with me. At first I stared at him in complete disbelief. You know the moment where you turn around thinking there must be someone behind you that they are looking at. Then I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face, which I hope said, "Ah, are you joking, I'm driving a monster van here, which obviously means- Got Kids" By now he is smiling and so I laugh cause I'm feeling pretty good. I'm thinking, yeah my hair does look good! Finally, I smile at him with a look that I think said,
"Hey you made my day", 'cause he did. Just as the light turned green he gave me another wink and nodded the , Your lookin' good nod. I smiled for at least an hour after that moment and I am smiling now.
Almost as if I had taken a magic pill that erased all my doubts, fears and anxieties, I glowed and walked with a new confidence. The rest of the day unfolded with good moments; I got the best parking space at the store, they opened a cashier for me at Costco (just as I began to put my food on the conveyor a man came by and said ," We're opening another line for you"), I caught four green lights in a row - a grand slam! I got good news from a client and, and, I thought all day about how a good looking man winked at little old me.
It was cool.
I thought as I walked through the store - I should 'Pay It Forward.' I would love to give someone else that magical moment. I saw a young girl who obviously looked like she had just graduated from 8th grade, and I said, "Pretty dress, you look great!" And it was so wonderful to see her smile!!
I wish I could bottle the gift of a compliment because this feeling is great and everyone should be able to have this moment.
Thank you kind good looking man in the sports car next to me, you put a smile on my face that's been missing for a long, long time.

8 comments:

Shameka said...

Everyone needs to have a day like that!!! Wonderful!!!

Deborah said...

How awesome and the fact that you paid it forward is fantastic!

Beverly said...

Don't you love those kind of days?

km said...

You kind of did bottle that. It's a day in your memory...and because you passed it on, you'll always smile when you think of this day.
=0) =0) =0) =0) =0) =0) =0)
Here's some smiles from me. You made me smile too.

Kim said...

Thanks! What a great idea to pas it on. Being the jaded NYC-type and paranoid daughter of a cop, I would've probably scowled at the guy in the sports car and called him a pervert. You have the right attitude Janet!

Krissy said...

It feels so good to know that even if you drive around in a Mom-mobile, you can still have someone make you feel like a hot babe.

Good job on paying it forward.

sophanne said...

That is just a great day.

Olga said...

I know exactly what you mean! This was kinda like that , during school when I was helping out with a class trip, one of the dads were there and he gave me this big ol' smile that said, you sexy thing! well, honestly- he might of been thinking of someone else but I chose to think he meant me and it made me feel so good, not like a washed up old frau like I usually feel.Yeah, it's crazy but it does give you a bit of lift to be complimented by a stranger.