Monday, June 23, 2008

No Left Turns


This bit of news comes to me via Me7of11 who posted a comment on my, Smart Cars and Dumb People .


With gas soaring to $4.60/gal here in San Diego (and no end in sight) and most of us driving gas guzzler cars like, vans and SUV's , it has become increasingly important to do whatever we can to cut back consumption.

The summary report of the short article is that UPS cut its fleets' gas bill by eliminating left hand turns. The cumulative effect of hundreds of cars idling their engines for even a few seconds was significant enough to save a million gallons of gas.

Maybe, if we all cut back it will shave a couple more million gallons and maybe that will help. Google, left turns for more information and please - Share this idea!
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/magazine/09left-handturn.html

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow! Thanks quite interesting. I never would have thought of that.

Me7of11 said...

And don't use drive thrus--go inside! (I already said that, didn't I?)

Thanks for posting about this article. I really think it is amazing.

Romi said...

Wow! That's amazing!

yarndork said...

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.