Friday, May 23, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame

Had one of those evenings that you sign-up for weeks in advance because they sound like a good idea at the time. This one was Padres game with the school night. Yeah, $21 dollar tickets for only $15. I had visions of the whole family going to the ballgame and having a memorable time of laughing, smiling, cheering and having a good time together - One Big Happy family. Hug Hug Hug.



Long, long story short. He didn't buy tickets. They had 6 extra. We bought those. Not enough. Daughter didn't go. Neighbor boy did.



Day of the game it rains. In my city if it rains; also known as sprinkles, scattered showers or heavy mist, then everyone stays home, lights the fireplace, drinks cocoa and watches a movie.



Fear of cold and rain hits the family with a heavy hand and we all moan and groan. No one wants to go. The Padres always lose and we'll freeze.



I wear a turtleneck sweater, a heavy jacket, a knitted scarf and mittens. At the last minute as I am leaving I grab my knitting.



As we arrive at the gate a sudden panic strikes me when I see the inspection line. I look in at my knitting needles and immediately fear that I am not going to pass Go at the gate. They are going to take my needles which look way to sharp to not be used as an occasional weapon. I reason that if they take nail files then surely they want my number 9 wooden needle that are at least three times longer and more powerful. Fortunately there are only two people in line and no one behind me . The "inspector" glances at my shabby bag of needles and I calmly say I'm knitting my first sweater. Either a wave of compassion momentarily grabs the guy or my needles don't look like a potential threat to anyone except my yarn.



We ride three escalators up to our sky high seats. My entire family is snickering at me knowing that I have a fear of heights. I always rise to the challenge but I must turn a little pale and I know the deep breaths and long signs aren't subtle. The last part is always the worst. I slowly creep up 22 steps and grab my seat.



Okay ballgame, I'm here , the family is partly here and I am seated. Play Ball



I realize that I don't write about knitting much, to be exact it has been almost 4 months since I have written about knitting. But I do a lot of knitting - in my dreams. My Isadora project has been placed on hold for all this time but tonight I make up for lost time. I knit, and knit and knit. The Padres, hit, and hit and hit. I knit for two and half hours and I start to see my second sleeve that I have knitted three times measure all the way past my bicep. It is a wonderful night. I knit with cold hands while my little boy blows is warm breath on them. I knit while cheering a home run in the seventh inning. I only put my knitting down to eat chili cheese nachos, only a few because I AM KNITTING. I can't have messy fingers.

Final score, Padres 8, Reds 2, Isadora 34 rows closer.

Note to self- Must go to more games.



3 comments:

km said...

That sleeve looks great! Family time at a game...sounds too fun.

Krissy said...

That is so true about the weather in SoCal. You made me laugh. I try knitting at ball games, but I end up spending all my time getting snacks for my daughter. Still fun.

Deborah said...

Sounds like an adventure! Glad you all had some quality family time at the ball game. You are like me when it comes to climbing up to the tippy top for seats at a game. Once my behind is in that chair I'm not moving until it's time to leave. Sleeve it looking great!