Monday, May 12, 2008

Stay-at home Mom worth $117,000


Had a very nice Mothers day ( hope you did too!). Got a call from my daughter, got a dress from my husband( it fits and I like it), gotta pen set from son A, and a salt and pepper shaker from son B, got a handmade card from son J. The handmade card always steals my heart. He wrote, "you are like sweet love and valentine love". I had to ask if he copied a message that his teacher wrote. He didn't.

I ran across this article about the worth of a stay-at-home Mom and knew I had to share it. Too bad we can't take it to the bank.
May 11, 2008

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
BOSTON -- If a stay-at-home mom could be compensated in dollars rather than personal satisfaction and unconditional love, she'd rake in a nifty sum of nearly $117,000 a year.
That's according to a study released Thursday by Salary.com, a Waltham, Mass.-based firm that studies workplace compensation.
The eighth annual survey calculated a mom's market value by studying pay levels for 10 job titles with duties that a typical mom performs, ranging from housekeeper and day care center teacher to van driver, psychologist and chief executive officer.
This year, the annual salary for a stay-at-home mom would be $116,805, while a working mom who also juggles an outside job would get $68,405 for her motherly duties.
The biggest driver of a mom's theoretical salary is the amount of overtime pay she'd receive for working more than 40 hours a week. The 18,000 moms surveyed about their typical week reported working 94.4 hours -- meaning they'd be spending more than half their working hours on overtime.
Working moms reported an average 54.6 hour ''mom work week'' besides the hours they spent at paying jobs.


P.S.

Although I look forward to celebrating Mother's Day - a day of relaxing and no cooking, I must protest the crowds and chaos that now accompany "my" day. I don't need a bouquet of roses that a week ago cost $20 but now are $60, $75 or more. I don't want to have brunch at $35 a person And fight for a parking space And elbow room in the restaurant.

I think that Mom's should stage an underground movement to rebel against the Hallmark holiday and all it's commercialized trimmings .

I hearby announce a quiet revolution where Mom's simply announce their choice of DAY to their family. Personally, I don't need another holiday in May - we have two birthdays in the first 10 days. On the appointed day you can do your family thing on your own terms at a more reasonable price and all the while have a big smile on your face knowing that in true Mom style you outwitted the rules and did it your way!!

5 comments:

punkin said...

Agreed! There is so much enjoyment to be had in the "simple" things. It is hard to stomach all these commercialized holidays.

Thank you for your comment about my daughter's trip. It was very nice to hear from you.

Olga said...

I'm so with you! I HATE that every little thing has to have a card and other stuff nobody needs-just to make it special! The card thing and made up holiday thing,( like special assistance day) has gotton way out of control.

yarndork said...

Amen, amen, and amen!!! I can't remember the last time I went to one of those stupid brunches! I'd so rather spend my money on yarn. Don't want to cook on Mother's Day? That's what crock pots are for! Night before put in some chicken and cream of something soup and some frozen veges. After church, have hubby boil some noodles, or pop open a tube of biscuits, have the kids open up a bag of pre-cut and washed salad greens, and voila! How hard was that!

Oops, there, I fell on the soap box. I'm off now; you may continue blogging as normal.

Romi said...

In answer to your question about whether I've had bricks thrown at me lately...no physical ones, but a whole lot of psychological ones, yes!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Romi said...

I read that speech (Randy Pausch's). Quite a guy. I think bricks, of the stationary and hurled varieties, are important character builders. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :)