Friday, April 11, 2008

MMMmmm I'ts a Great Feeling

This morning at 8am I met my dentist who greeted me with pliers and for 30 minutes he cut wires and pulled brackets off my teeth. The metal ones came off in one piece but the ceramic ones shattered and pieces flew. The next hour was spent sanding off the bond. That was real torture. Many times my teeth got sensitive to the vibration and it felt like the nerve was being touched. But I survived.
I can't stop smiling and I can't stop swiping my tongue across my teeth. The feel so nice and smooth. Next week I am getting them whitened. I can't wait 'til someone says, "Hey you got your braces off.

What I learned and what I want to share.
1. NEVER have your teeth pulled. I "needed" four teeth pulled in order to correct my overbite. This is an dated technique and now usually the readjustment can be made without pulling teeth. Aside from the pain and expense of having teeth pulled there is another major problem. When you pull teeth the shape of the face is changed - well mine changed. My cheeks sank in and I don't like it. Really, really, really think long and hard if your dentist wants to pull teeth.
2. Braces are a big challenge everyday. Food gets stuck in them. It's hard to brush and clean your teeth. It is really hard to floss. I tried to floss once a week but rarely met that goal. You have to use a threader and loop the floss inside the wires. It's a big long hassle.
3. Braces are expensive and time consuming. I have spent many, many hours at the dentist and I really wonder if it made that big of a difference.
4. Braces make your teeth look yellow and ugly. This is the greatest irony and true of most projects - progress isn't pretty.
5. Today is a great day.

A guy at the office turned and congratulated me as they were taking my picture. He asked, "How long have you had them on"
"Don't ask. How long have you had yours?"
" I just got them on yesterday"
"It takes as long as it takes, and then it's over and you smile"

Now isn't that true with most things in life?

5 comments:

sophanne said...

Congratulations- it looks great.

Olga said...

I like that saying!Can I add that to my quotes list? and now you can kiss with out worrys.

Maureen said...

Congrats on getting the braces off!!

I love your comment-"It takes as long as it takes, and then it's over and you smile". Very true indeed!

Deborah said...

Congrats on getting those durn things off. I remember the day mind did. It was a huge celebration for me. Of course, I had braces before they had the kind that are clear or invisible. I had a full mouth of metal. I was called *Brace Face* many many times. I was 13 at the time and fortunately I only had my braces for a year. I had done some serious pre-work so my brace time was short compared to some.

Haley said...

congratulations on a lovely smile! go chew some gum, eat a caramel-covered apple, and enjoy your new found freedom!