Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Journey

Today as I was struggling to rouse kids from their beds, make lunches and breakfasts, empty the dishwasher and start a load of clothes, make beds ... well you know the routine - the one that starts early and ends late. The one that makes you think, "Why do I do this?" The daily routine of shuffling the kids to school and then picking them up, giving them a snack and helping them with their homework. The routine of grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking that can zap all your creativitiy and spirit until you feel old and tired and dull. And then just when you think "Why do I bother, they - the kids- don't really care anyway, at least they don't appear to", you discover something that really changes your mind.
Today I discoved a book, Enriques Journey, the story of how a Honduran boy of 17 traveled 2000 miles riding the tops of frieght trains to be reunited with his mother who left him when he was 5 years old to go to America. She left him with tears in his eyes and a heartache that never went away. For 12 years he suffered until he could bear the pain no longer and then he set off to find her. With $57 dollars, the clothes on his back and her phone number written on a piece of paper and on the inside of his pants he walked away from his girl friend and his small town in southern Honduras to travel to America.
Mothers leave their children to find a better life for them. A life that will enable them to buy food and clothes and "things". They believe that they will be back in a year or two but usually it is much longer, sometimes they never return. The author was introduced to the subject through her own maid and her stories. The maids son traveled from Guatelmala to find her and when asked why he said, ' I'd trade it all for my mother. I never had someone to spoil me. To say; Do this, don't do that, have you eaten? You can never get the love of a mother from someone else."

I think my heart and love for my children will never be the same.
Ironically, I remembered that we sponsor a child in Honduras. His name is Samar. At Christmas we got a card from him that said, Thank you precious donor, because of you we ate apples today."
Peace

3 comments:

Haley said...

Thanks for a thought provoking post. Made me realize how much I take for granted.

km said...

I'm right there with you. It is so hard. And yet...one little "my wuv you!" and I'm mush. I can't imagine my little ones being without me. That's why I'm home with them. Thanks for the reminder.

And we have a little boy in Kenya.

Kristin said...

Lovely.
But wait...I don't have homework in my routine. Is that coming??