Thursday, January 24, 2008

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping

When I served the ice cream at my sons birthday party it was almost soup, way beyond soft and creamy. That's when I got suspicious that something was wrong with the refrigerator. I checked the settings and noticed that it was down to 3 so I simply moved the dial up to 9 and closed the door. Thinking that I had solved the problem I innocently waited and waited, wanting with all my heart to believe that my refrigerator was okay. A day and a half later I admitted that the situation wasn't getting any better, but I was stuck because I couldn't go shopping and I knew that I would have a couple days to wait for delivery. Thinking back to the good old days I went to the store and bought ice, lots of ice and then I found dry ice. Yeah. The label said it would keep things cold for up to 4 days. I was saved. But no. The next morning I found water all over the floor and discovered the dry ice had melted while the bag of ice was still in tack. Back to the store - I bought 3 large bags of block ice. I would now put my refrigerator on life support. Then I went shopping only to discover that refrigerators cost a lot. I thought ,"let's just eat fresh food". Hey I have to go to the store everyday anyway so why not just buy and eat what we need. The response was nothing short of , "Are you crazy?"
After searching four stores and three trips back to the same store in the pouring rain I finally bought a refrigerator. Here's what I learned
1. Never go shopping with children of any size or age. Ever!!!!
2. Never go shopping with a dead line or the thought -" I have to hurry because I need to pick-up the kids by 2:30" Having this thought will override all of your ability to think clearly and before you know it you'll be buying a avocado green appliance because it was marked down $300.
2. Never go shopping when your hungry. I got hungry at 11:00am and didn't get to eat until 6pm. Is it any wonder why I bought I huge refrigerator - all I could think about was food.
3. Never go shopping when your tired. When I get tired I find myself wandering, aimlessly. All I can think about is when can I rest? Everything goes blurry and then I lose interest and start thinking, Why am I doing this?
4. Never go shopping without a plan. This step is the most important element and the thought that finally got me back on track. I called my Mom and asked for advise. After 5 minutes and the most politically correct benign answer, she finally said, "Think about where you want to be and not where you are" This sentence made the light bulb go on. I grabbed a snack and headed out to buy a refrigerator.
They deliever the box on friday. My food will probably be all spoiled by then, but I needed to clean out the refrigerator anyway.
The refrigerator is stainless steel and doesn't match anything but my kitchen drawer knobs and very old cook top ( actually that's hideous rotted chrome).
Now, I just need to talk my husband in to buying the matching stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and stove.

9 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Well, at least you got the refrigerator!

yarndork said...

I can totally relate to the shopping with kids thing. When we were building our house, we spent so much time in the Home Depot my son started calling it "the store that's orange and dirty". He was only 4 at the time, and son #2 was a baby, son #3 not on the radar yet, and #1 used to spend his time crawling around in the racks and getting filthy dirty, hence the "dirty" part. You can probably figure out the orange.

Kristin said...

ooooh, I'm a little jealous. I'm desperate for a new fridge.
I hear you on never shopping with the kids, it's brutal!!

dale-harriet said...

Never occurred to me to not go shopping for a *refrigerator* when you're hungry! I had a war with Northern States Power one summer when my babies were...well, BABIES - and I had no electricity. I pretended we were French, and DID go to the market every morning. Worked out wonderfully well, actually - I kept books in the fridge. (Of course, I wasn't working, lived in an apartment, and it was novel.) At the end of the summer NSP relented and reconnected my power without a big fee. (Note - I DID have a gas stove). The truth? It IS nice having a working fridge. (And you'll find it's really FUN having a new one!) Is that a picture of the new one? Fresh cold water in the door? I'm jealous!

Stephanie M said...

Heard from a little birdie that you were a new blogger. Stopped by hi. I hope you like your new fridge. Appliances in general aren't fun to shop for but at least it should last awhile!

Tracy said...

A friend said you needed a friend....Hi, nice to meet you.

Not you be a mensch or nothing, but I hope your new fridge fits in the spot where it's supposed to go! ;-)

BTW carry a bag of peanut m&m's in your purse they are a godsend on those days when you don't have time, or forget to eat.

Kim said...

Hi! Yarnhog sent me over! I would give my big toe for an avacado green refigerator that cost $300- (and was energy efficient). Post some photos of the new frig.

Dr. Steph said...

That is a fine looking fridge. I'm going shopping for one this weekend.

However I will probably ignore all your rules and be miserable. If I followed them I would probably never go shopping!

Haley said...

My fridge has been rattling since the day we inherited it with our house 6 1/2 years ago. We've been waiting for it to die ever since. I dread the day that I find the soupy ice cream. So far so good. Thanks for sharing your adventure in such a humorous way. It is appreciated!