Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Top 10 Dieting and Exercise Tips

I've read on many blogs that losing weight is one of the big New Years Resolutions. I was generously blessed with a high metabolism and have never really had a weight problem however, I dieted a lot after all 6 of my pregnancies. Therefore I would like to share my best dieting and exercise tips

1. Ankle weights and hand weights in the morning. Weight lifting tones and shapes and it increases your metabolism. So if you work out in the morning ( just put the weights on and walk around the house for twenty minutes) then the rate that your body burns calories will be raised for the entire day. I have used ankle weights for many, many years and never had a problem with my knees - but if that is your concern then try them for a little bit and see how your body responds. The small ones only weigh 1.5 pounds and I think some shoes weigh that much so you should be able to handle it. Use the hand weights to do stretches.


2. Do sit-ups in bed. I hate lying down on the ground and so I never did sit-ups. Who says that you have to be really uncomfortable to do sit-ups? If I "work out" in bed then I do a full range of exercises and I do them in the morning and at night.


3. Practise good posture. It doesn't make any sense to me that you can have a firm stomach after exercising for 20 minutes and the rest of the day slouch. These muscles need to be worked and used all day long. Stand up straight, you will look better and your abs and back muscles will get used.


4. Eat breakfast and then eat a second breakfast. If your not hungry for breakfast then you are probably eating to much the night before. Don't skip breakfast. Even if your not hungry eat something it breaks the fast and gets your metabolism working for the day. Eat another breakfast around 10am. In fact I probably eat 3 meals and 3 snacks throughout the day but I rarely eat after dinner. You will find that by eating smaller meals and snacks that you won't be hungry and you will be able to stick to your diet.


5. Eat cocoa puffs or cinnamon swirls or some cereal for a sweet treat. When you get a craving for something chocolaty or sweet - eat a bowl of cereal. You will be satisfied, be able to eat more and save a lot of calories ( don't eat a giant bowl though)


6. Brush your teeth after eating. It will leave a fresh feeling in your month and you won't want to eat.


7. Chew gum or use mints to cure a sweet craving.


8. Never eat out of the bag or box. I always put my food in a bowl. Portion control is very important and if your eating out of a bag you won't be able to see how much you have eaten


9. Listen to music when you exercise - don't watch T.V. When you watch T.V. you want to sit down and relax but when you listen to music it makes you want to get up and move


10. Eat before you go to a party - then nibble when you get there.



Bonus Tip -

Get a fun piece of exercise equipment. If you really like the Leg Magic, or the Red - Get One! Equipment is fun and it makes the whole idea a lot more bareable. If you do buy one get in on Craigs list or some other used place. There are a lot of people who bought these items new and then never used them.


Good Luck on your diets and remember - You will never regret skipping that extra serving or piece of cake but you'll always be happy to fit into a smaller size.

No comments: