Thursday, January 17, 2008

The come-back meal

Not to be defeated by a single days event,today I decided early on that I would make a great come-back meal. And so I did. I made baked ham ( so easy), homemade macaroni and cheese ( so yummy), fresh green beans, baked yams, cornbread and peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. We ate like Kings (Southern Kings) and it was great. Not as much fun but so good. Lots of sweet ham leftovers but most of the macaroni and cheese is gone. I've got teenage boys and they eat like pigs.
With that triumph I have made a few decisions -
1. Roasting is easy and I plan to do it at least once a week. Roast beef, baked ham, roast chicken - how easy is putting a chunk of meat in the oven and letting it cook? Now that's what I call -fix-it and forget-it. Plus you get leftovers. Hey it's a win-win deal
2. Never ever buy Hamburger helper.
3. When I don't feel like cooking - don't cook. The consequences are too serious.
4. Good food is always real.
Next big win of the day -
I finished knitting the lace pattern for my second sleeve. My heart did skip a beat when I first picked-up my knitting because I couldn't exactly remember if I had just finished knitting row 23 or was I now starting row 23. Those stitch counters could use a little improvement. I am now in safe territory of good ol' boring St st. Yeah baby!!!
I see a FO and myself wearing my new sweater.

Mac and cheese recipe -
3 tbsps melted butter
3 tbsps flour
1/2 tsp salt & dash of pepper - stir together and add-in
1 1/2 cups of milk
cover ( I use a paper plate)and microwave for 2-3 mins.
stir and cover and microwave for 2/3 mins. until desired thickness
Add shredded cheese
cook elbow macaroni (approx 2 cups I've never measured), drain and add to cheese sauce.
Stir and serve.
So good
Try different cheeses.
I like to microwave this recipe because then I don't burn the sauce.

1 comment:

sophanne said...

Sounds very good. We don't cook in our home but husband puts a hunk a meat in the oven once a week and slices it for his lunches in lieu of coldcuts. I think it's a little cheaper and he loves it.