Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Santa Story

A few days ago I had the privilege of eavesdropping on a conversation the children were having in the car on the way home from school. I drive home a kindergarten, 1st grader, two 2nd graders, 7th grader and an 8th grader. The younger ones started taking about Santa.

boy- Santa only brings 3 presents

boy2 - If your good

boy3 - I have NEVER gotten coal

boy -What's coal?

boy3 - I think it taste bad

girl - You have to be really good all the time and that's hard

boy2 - Who said you only get 3 presents

boy - My mom

Boy2 - She's wrong. You get more, but you have to be good.

boy - No my Mom's not wrong. She's really smart. I think she knows everything

boy3 - Did she graduate from the 16th grade yet?

boy- Yeah she graduated from college when she was like 37, I think

boy3 - NO way you have to be like 48 because it takes forever

boy - You go to college right after High School

boy 3 - My mom is 49 and she just graduated from college , she knows

girl - Santa likes girls better than boys because we get more than 3 presents, but you have to be good. Boys aren't good.

boy2- No that's wrong Santa likes all kids

girl- Santa leaves a bag of toys at my house , but you have to go to sleep early and you can't go down stairs.

boy - You guys are all wrong Santa only leaves 3 presents the rest you get from your parents.

boy2 - Parents don't get presents from Santa

Needless to say the conversation was enlightening. I began to wonder,
What stories do other parents tell their kids about Santa?
I know why the boy was told that Santa only leaves 3 presents because he has 3 other brothers and it simply isn't affordable to leave any more.

Do you even talk about Santa?
We never really did, that's not what Christmas is really all about. But all the children learned about Santa from their friends.

How old are your kids when Santa doesn't come anymore?
Some kids insist they still believe just to get more stuff.

No comments: