Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Help wanted

Dear advanced experienced knitters of blog land. You know who you are. If you knitted more then 3 scares and 1 vest then you qualify. I need your help. Today I spent way too much time wandering the Internet in search of heavy worsted weight yarn - I'm almost done with my "knit lace border top", just started the second sleeve, so like any knitter I need to place an order for my next project. I need to do it right away or I just might not have anything to knit for a couple days and I might be forced to finish other projects, like ironing.
Today I thought I might enjoy a stroll through the virtual knitting store. But I was sadly mistaken as I went from site to site and found that they have no uniformity. They are all different and I can't find anything. Why don't they all have a search button? Why can't I just type in,"heavy worsted weight yarn" and magically have all the yarns available appear. Why can't I, Why, Why, Why????
Some sites have the yarn categorized by the yarn type. Now I realize that all you "Pros" know, Noro, Debbie Bliss, blah blah blah, but I don't. I don't have the time to search through 15 different types of yarn only to discover that none of them are the right weight and even worse they are all way to expensive - worse because by now I have fallen in love with the color and the description.
This is why I need your help. I have read and seen on many blogs your beautiful yarns. Yarns still in the package, yarns in the finished project state, yarns, yarns, yarns,. Yarns so wonderful you photograph them still in the box, minutes after the UPS driver hands them over.
You know yarns and I don't .
Here is my order -
I would like a heavy worsted weight yarn - gauge is 16 stitches and 22 rows to 4 inches on size 9 needles. I need 850 yards. I would like it to be $5 or less, maybe more if it's really special.
Please help.
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
I would like to know your favorite online yarn stores, and your favorite yarns.

2 comments:

km said...

Don't know if I would consider myself an experienced knitter, but by your list of qualifications I am. Go to www.yarndex.com. There's a tab for weight. Pull down for heavy worsted. This is a pretty exhaustive list. Under more, you can search by gauge. Then I go to my favorite shop to purchase. Are you on Ravelry? you could check to see what others are knitting this pattern out of. What pattern is this for? Do you want wool? cotton? Self-striping? Verigated? Washable? I'll try to help if I can. But maybe I need more information.

Yarnhog said...

Go here: http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/1302/0-0-1294/ The yarns with a gauge of 4 stitches to the inch will work. There are several in that gauge for less than $5 a ball.