Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Christmas Meme +

I got this from Yarnhog who got it from someone else, and they told two friends who told two friends...I added one question to the original list.
I had fun answering the questions. If you would like to do your own version, simply copy the post and delete my answers.

1.Wrapping Paper or Gift Bags?
Gift bags all the way, all the time and by the way you get the gift not the bag.

2. Real tree or artificial?
We have what I call a pseudo-fake tree - an artificial tree with real cuttings strategically placed to both fill out the tree and give the house that wonderful piney Christmas smell. Try it you'll like it.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually about the 1st weekend in Dec. Two reasons - 1. It takes me a couple days to decorate the tree, 2. It takes me a couple days to decorate the tree.

4. When do you take down the tree?
Around New Years day depending on how I feel that day.

5. Do you like Egg Nog?
Love it!! Especially with Brandy.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A Magnus chord organ. I don't know what happened to it but I still remember playing the organ and singing all the songs.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes, many. I seem to collect them. One of my favorites my mother bought me from Costco, the craftsmanship is really nice, but it's very delicate.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
My mother and my husband. My mother always says, " Well I don't know".. and my husband, well this year he made a list.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
My daughter. I always wish I could buy her more.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
When I was 10 years old my family drove to Indiana to have Christmas with my Grandmother and all the relatives. I got 3 jewelry boxes. My dear Grandmother read the disappointment on my face when she gave me hers and added 3 silver dollars and gave me a hug and a kiss that I will never forget. Like I always say -everything is good.

11. Mail or email Christmas Cards?
I LOVE getting Christmas cards but I am seriously challenged with the ability to send them. I really regret not having done yearly family picture Christmas cards. I would love having the collection of pictures of my family.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
A Charlie Brown Christmas - yeah I know it's not a movie. I love everything about it even the story of how Charles Schultz wrote and produced the story.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
These days one must have a plan or else you lose and have to spend Dec. 23 hopelessly wandering from store to store in search of Lego kit #9145.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes. I also return a lot. It's the thought that counts not the paisley leg warmers.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My mother-in-law is Hungarian and she makes two treats, Kalatch and keiflies ( I used to think they were called flee-flee's). Kalatch is a pastry made with cream cheese and stuffed with minced walnuts. It's rolled up and baked. Keiflies use the same pastry but each nut is wrapped. I'm the only one who can and does still make these treats. They take hours but it's tradition.

16. Clear lights or coloured?
I love white lights, inside and out. I think they are magically beautiful.

17. Favorite Christmas Song?
Santa Baby - I sing it too my husband in my Teddy - it's one of his traditional Christmas gifts.

18. Travel or stay home at Christmas?
Travelling with three kids at Christmas time it too difficult. However if I won a trip to Hawaii I'd figure out how to work that deal in a minute.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s Reindeer?
Of course.

20. Angel or Star on the top of the tree?
Angel. One of many on my tree.

21. Open Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Christmas Eve we open presents from the relatives. When I was a little girl we opened Aunt Sue's presents. They were always a dud. One year I got dollar symbol dangly earrings - I was 9 and I didn't have pierced ears.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
The malls and trying to find a parking space. Plus I hate how everything has the tag line, "The perfect Christmas present" Oh really, like Homer Simpson Chia pets are, "The perfect Christmas present". Funny not perfect.

23. What’s the corniest family tradition you do or miss doing?
We always read the night before Christmas on Christmas eve. My husband won't let us go to bed until we do.

24. What’s the worst thing you’ve seen related to Christmas?
A Homer Simpson nativity set.

25. Which looks best, theme trees or homey trees?
My Mom took a floral design class and ever since then she has a Theme decorated tree - they're wonderful, but I can't resist hanging some of my favorite ornaments.

26. Gingerbread or Sugar Cookies?
Both please and a cup of tea.

27. Do you like fruitcake?
I love it and I make a really simple and delicious one from a store bought date bread mix. My mother's is good too but she takes a week carefully lacing hers with brandy or is it rum - it's Good.

28. What is you favorite Christmas memory?
I was maybe 6 years old and our family had an early Christmas eve dinner. My mother was washing the dishes when my father decided to take us up to the mall to see Santa. Back then Santa wasn't everywhere like he is now. So we were delighted to go. When we came back Santa had come to our house. All the toys were there. My Mother simply explained that Santa had come while we were gone. GREAT We immediately got to playing with out toys. The only problem was that we lived in an apartment and we quickly asked if Santa had come to our friends house next door. Ooops. Well Santa only comes when the kids are either asleep or out of the house. He would have to circle back to drop off presents after the kids went to sleep next door. The neighbor ladies were definitely not happy with my mother that year. We loved her.