Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Day 2007

Thanksgiving was a super special celebration this year. My brother Steve hosted the dinner at his house in Oak Park. His family (wife and three sons), my family ( me, husband + 4), his wives sisters family ( husband + 2), my Mom and Dad, and his wives Mom and Dad = 19 people and the equals a great day.!Everyone pitched in to make the dinner the best meal I have ever eaten. Steve prepared the turkey. His brine recipe begins the day before when he soaks the turkey in his own special blend of herbs and spices - a new concoction every year. He cooks the turkey twenty mins. breast side down and then flips it for the remaining time. He stuffs aromatic leaves under the skin and pats of butter then bastes the bird every 45 mins. It is really, really, really moist and super delicious. Absolutely the best turkey I have ever had. Thanks Steve. Everyone pitched in with their own specialty, fresh candied yams from Cheryl, mashed potatoes - Lori, green beans and fresh corn straight off the cob and stuffing from Carol. A honey baked ham. Micheal, my nephew made the gravy, Steve also made fresh cranberry sauce and then the desserts. My Mom made apple and pumpkin pie, Garrett made fresh vanilla ice cream and Michael spoiled us all with cheesecake topped with fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.

Steve asked that both the Catholic and Jewish blessings be said. Which I enjoyed immensely.


I thought long and hard of what I would answer to the question, "What are you thankful for?"


Out loud I said, "I 'm thankful for what I have"


No comments: