Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Good Night Sleep

For many, many years now I have suffered with a mild case of insomnia. Every night I would wake -up around 2am to go to the bathroom and then I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. For up to 3 hours I would lie awake. Most of the time trying to fall back asleep but totally involved in thoughts about whatever issues were troubling me and mostly about all that I was going to get done the next day. Talk about self-defeating thoughts. If I can't sleep I'll never have the energy to get-up and do anything.
Since this has been a problem for me I have read all about "How to get a good night sleep" - Have a routine, take a warm bath, drink a cup of calming tea, listen to relaxing music, don't eat dinner to late or go to bed on a full stomach, blah, blah, blah. Most of the advise is so simplistic that I'm usually disappointed to shell out the money to read it. Needless to say I have tried to overcome the problem but I have not been successful.
Yesterday in complete desperation to get a full nights sleep I took an over -the- counter sleeping pill. Just one. Very carefully. Fully aware of the risks and dangers, but so wanting to get some sleep.
This morning I woke-up and slowly turned to look at the clock, it was 6:24am. I had slept all night!!!! It is sooo wonderful to get a full nights sleep, I feel like a new woman. I am certain I look ten years younger and twice as smart. I almost hopped out of bed as I ran to the bathroom.
Now I promise you the plan is not to take a pill every night. I am going to "help" my body when I know I am not going to be able to sleep, when I absolutely must get to sleep, to get a full night's sleep. This will of course help my family, my friends, everyone I come into contact with and probably most of the English speaking world (Hey it's the world wide web).
Anyway with that problem solved I rejoice for yet another reason. Being able to fall deeply asleep prevents me from hearing my husband snore. For some reason if you are in a semi-comatose state you are unable to hear noises that would pierce your eardrums and scare harden criminals straight.

No comments: